> A tagged post and a tutorial

A tagged post and a tutorial

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 | 12 Comments

hello everyone!
Today I have a nail polish wheel tutorial to show you guys.... but first Smita and Katrina tagged me so I'm going to reply to the tag =)


4 Things Tag

4 things in my bag/purse:
- wallet
- nail file
- hand cream
- nail clippers

4 favorite things in my room
- laptop
- my stuff animals
- my bed
-my fan (it's getting really hot here in Vancouver)

4 things I’ve always wanted to do
- Go see the Taj Mahal
- work at the aquarium
- see the Northern lights
- go dog sledding

4 things I’m currently into
- nail polish
- eminem Recovery CD
- reading
- crafting jewelery

4 things I bet you didn't know about me
- I dislike shopping
- I love gory movies such as Saw
- I love movies about zombies
- I am currently obsessing about the Pokemon gameboy game Red version (1990s)

4 songs I can't get out of my head
- Love the way you lie - eminem
- Not afraid - eminem
- Teenage Dream - Katy Perry 
- The way I are - Timbaland

Rules:
once tagged you must link the person who tagged you
tag 4 others
let the bloggers know they have been tagged
give 4 answers to each question asked

My tags
- Bathroom dancer Juli
- Tessa
- lil green heart
- Dee's Polish Delaynee


Phew!  now to the nail wheel tutorial. I can't take credit for it since I followed a youtube video from the lovely:  lfbdiamondmind   (she is awesome!)
The video is here if you want to watch =):   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQjRRjEd3QM

I just took pictures of the steps I took which is the same as what she did:
By the way, nail wheels are quite cheap but since I have a lot of cheap $! false nails (I use nailene nails if I break or rip a nail )that I don't use so I decided to turn them into a nail wheel. If I didn't have all these plastic nails I would probably have just bought a nail wheel.

Step 1:
The materials to make the nail wheel:
  • school glue (important will elaborate later)
  • tooth picks
  • plastic nails


Step 2:  
  • have a clean false nail with no residue on it
  • apply glue
  • stick toothpick into the middle of it

 Step 3:
  • let them dry overnight, DO NOT MOVE THEM

Step 4:
  • cut out 2 cardboard circles (for front and back of nail wheel), the size of the circle is the size that you want your nail wheel to be
Step 5:
  • glue the nails (that are dry now) onto the cardboard circle
  • I used a glue gun for it to be faster
  • to distribute the nails evenly first glue the nails at the positions 12, 3, 6, 9 oclock
  • then continue to fill in with nails
 
Step 6: 
  • Once done glue the second cardboard circle on top of the exposed toothpicks so that you have a cardboard circle on the back and front of your nail wheel
Back:
Front:

Step 7:
  • Swatch the wheel =)

Step 8:
  • so you have a cardboard circle on the front and back of your nail wheel right? flip the nail wheel over so that you are now facing the back and write in the names of your polish
  • so the front you have a blank circle and the back has the names of the polishes you swatched

And you are done! =)


A few tips:
  • I said that using school glue is important because when it dries and you apply pressure you can pop the nail off the tooth pick easily (also if you drop or bump the wheel the nails come off).  I like this aspect because I missed a silver polish and had already swatched the wheel, I hate that I would have to put the silver polish in the green section so all I did was pop off a few nails and shifted them over to make room for the silver that I forgot to swatch, then I glued everything back on 
  •  swatching, I don't swatch 2 coats on every nail, instead I do it in gradients so that I can see the opacity of the polish


**unrelated note: my birthday is this friday yay!! I need to figure out what I should wear on my nails that day. =)

Comments:12

  1. omggg i LOVE that idea! seems like a lot of work, but this would make life SO much easier in the future when searching for that perfect nail color! great post :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - great tutorial! I'll need to try that one day! BTW, thanks for the tag :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea! Thank you for posting your steps! I will get to that tag tomorrow methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, super duper nail wheels. I don't think I have the attention span to make my own, though; I'll stick with the ones I can buy ready made. :)

    And how could I have forgotten the Northern Lights when I did this tag?! I so want to see them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome tutorial!! This is a fantastic way to see all your colours. I too hate putting colours next to different colours on a wheel =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool!! i never thought about making your own nail wheel! i've been searching for a decent nail wheel for quite awhile. haha! i know nail wheels are all the same but i have a preference. :D silly me.. oh!! and thanks for tagging me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @PaO*: Thanks for you comment. it's a fun way to make nail wheels.......when you have the time. =) a craft project =)

    @xAgnes : it does take a lot of time but I did it in front of the tv. I like doing craft projects but to tell you the truth if I didn't have these nails I would just buy a nail wheel. it is super easy now that I have the wheels to compare colors

    @Deez Nailz ~ where the CANADIAN Bloggers at ?: it's a fun crafty project to do when one is bored =) plus I have way too many false nails right now. so why not use it for swatches right? thanks for the bday wishes

    @Juli: it makes comparing colors soooooooooooo much easier. you really need to do it!!! or buy a nail wheel =)

    @Delaynee: I see you are posting more and more now =) getting back on to blogging eh? yay!

    @KarenD: I agree.. I would also buy nail wheels too.haha. I always like spacey things...well is the northen lights considered spacey? I also want to watch meteor shower..which I totally forgot to add

    @'chelle : I find a nail wheel really helps with nail stamping matchings. sometimes I can't remember what colors I have or what color will work when I stamp. With the nail wheel I find that color choosing is now 10 times easier for me...well maybe not 10times

    @xnosugaraddedx: have you tried square nail wheel? well since its a square i guess it's not called a nail wheel anymore but I quite like the nail wheels that are in the shape of a square. since you have been searching for a decent nail wheel for so long I think you now need to make you own customized nail wheel

    ReplyDelete
  8. :D agreed! ive never heard of the square nail wheel before but will definitely try that! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank for sharing! :) I do something similar but "my cardboards" are rectangulars... Nice idea about the gradient!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.